Nik is EMC’s founder and chief executive, and one of the highest profile businessmen in the South East with extensive experience of running companies of all sizes in numerous sectors.
Nik is the leading Corporate Financier in the South East having won the prestigious ‘Dealmaker of the Year’ title in 2015/16 and 17. He has completed over 100 corporate transactions personally and acted on some of the highest profile deals in the Region.
Nik is a former President of the South Eastern Society of Chartered Accountants, past Chairman of both Business Link Sussex and Sussex Enterprise (the Chamber of Commerce for Sussex) and has chaired the South East Proof of Concept Fund and the innovation and growth team.
Nik holds board positions with six companies which employ over 2000 people and at EMC focuses on strategy, team management, merger and acquisition work and commercial business development. He has considerable overseas experience, particularly in the emerging markets of China, Russia and India as well as the USA and most European countries. His sector experience covers healthcare, media and marketing ,food, electronics and retail as well as having a passion for UK manufacturing.
Nik qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1980 but quickly decided that there must be more exciting occupations than auditing, investigations and tax. His first position in industry was in a small family fashion textile company where he soon learnt that, despite the grand title of financial director, he had to be involved in selling, exhibitions, packing cartons and even cutting material. He also experienced at first hand the problems that can arise in second generation family businesses.
However, Nik’s relish for the commercial side of the business won him the award of Accountant of the Year in 1986. A year later he took up the position as managing director of the UK arm of a 600-store retail fashion group prior to forming Eastbourne Management Consultants Limited - subsequently renamed EMC – in 1989.
A strong, commercially-orientated Chartered Accountant with the ability to motivate and manage teams and communicate with staff at all levels as well as business heads and City institutions, Nik has been involved in scores of projects ranging from chief executive of a listed electronics company to non-executive director for one of the country's leading freight forwarders.
- Managing Director
- Non-Executive Chairman/Director
- Owner/Manager Mentoring
- Corporate Strategy and Planning
- Turnaround and Recovery
- Strategic Reviews
- Corporate Finance (acquisitions & disposals; MBOs and MBIs; raising equity, including venture capital; sourcing debt; succession planning; preparation and review of business plans)
Recent assignments have included:
- Non-Executive Director and Chairman roles with six businesses in the £5m-£50m range.
- Advice and assistance to MBO team with the purchase of a £40m business including due diligence and support and liaison with buyers, VCs and banks over a six month period.
- General review and advice to chairman of a £50m+ business on structure and management of group companies and assistance with developing strategic options. Effective part-time executive role over 6-12 months.
- Drafting of business plans and forecasts for presentation to investors, directors and bankers for a number of fast growing businesses. Agreement of strategy and monthly overview of performance against the plan with commercial financial input to the management.
- Acting on behalf of Institutional investor where invested company had failed to perform. Review of management and strategy, agreement of action plan and ongoing role to drive forward improvements.
- Advising on, assisting with and completing several corporate sales including targeting of buyers, negotiation assistance and advice through to completion.