Rod Muir is a management accountant and general manager with more than 25 years’ experience at board level in the manufacturing, distribution and service sectors. Prior to joining EMC in 2009, Rod worked with PA Consulting.
His roles have encompassed financial, operational and general management as an executive board member, interim manager and external consultant.
His major recent assignments include:
- Acting Managing Director for Fresh Service Ltd, a long established cold storage and chilled distribution business based in Kent. Originally retained to assist the company's first acquisition and subsequent integration programme, and further retained to lead the existing management in maximising current and future business performance.
- Finance Director of Advanced Power Components plc, an AIM listed distributor of specialist electronic components in the defence, aerospace and specialist commercial sectors. Recruited to play a lead role in the successful acquisition and integration of three companies over a 2-3 year period, trebling annual turnover to £12m and returning the group to profitability.
- Interim Finance Director & Deputy Managing Director for Engenica, the engineering and maintenance subsidiary of Thames Water. Retained to assist with the establishment of the division as an autonomous and competitive operation capable of attracting external business and growing non-regulated revenues for the group. Negotiated and implemented cost savings totalling £650k pa and led senior management team in negotiating the award of external contracts valued at £15m pa.
- Interim Manufacturing and Operations Controller for Coty Manufacturing, the UK subsidiary of Coty Inc., the leading mass cosmetics and fragrance company. Project included the successful implementation of a new intercompany pricing policy, migration to a new ERP platform and a review of warehousing operations.
- Finance and SE Operations Director for Hoogovens SSC Ltd, the UK subsidiary of the Royal Dutch Steel Mills, now part of Corus, a subsidiary of Tata Steel. Recruited to manage the establishment of a new manufacturing plant in the West Midlands and the subsequent relocation of the existing finance and administration functions from Kent. The resulting expansion increased UK market share from 4% to 10% and turnover from £15m to £43m pa.
Rod was born in Greenwich and educated at Woolverstone Hall Boarding Grammar School in Suffolk before studying accountancy at the University of East London. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Financial Accountants, a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management, and an Affiliate of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.