Terry is an experienced corporate finance executive and director with a broad base of experience and impressive achievements in senior management, corporate finance, turnaround management, strategic business development and start-up.
He joined EMC in April 2003, bringing a diverse background and experience of corporate finance and corporate management. Some of Terry’s major achievements have been at the cutting edge of corporate recovery and turnaround, working on both sides of the fence with both lenders and corporate clients and producing positive results for all concerned. The raising of start-up capital and development funding, strategic planning and development, retirement planning and business sales are all part of the corporate challenges with which Terry has supported and assisted recent clients.
Prior to EMC
Terry’s career began in the world of corporate finance, working in the City of London with one of the world’s leading international banking groups. He held senior management positions within the group over 18 years, dealing with domestic and international corporate finance, syndicated and asset-backed finance, acquisitions, etc. with individual transaction values ranging up to £700 million involving major corporations and PLCs.
In the late 1980s Terry joined the bank’s Global Recovery Unit to deal with the plethora of problems that were beginning to emerge as the ‘80s bubble burst. When one if its major borrowers fell into difficulties, Terry was instrumental, as lead bank, in developing and implementing the standstill, recovery and turnaround operations that dealt with the company’s 40-plus lenders and the £1.6 billion of group debt. It was then the biggest standstill and recovery play in the UK market and established a format which has subsequently been followed and developed by others.
After five years of leading the banking side of the recovery operation, Terry was invited to join the board of one of the two remaining key subsidiaries with a view to enabling the flotation or sale of the company. Two years later, an institutional buyout for £187 million was completed.
Focusing more on the South East of England, Terry has subsequently enjoyed working flexibly with a range of companies, organisations and private clients requiring a broad range of commercial, financial and management support, all of them benefiting from his extensive experience and personal commitment to the most challenging corporate tasks, situations and management.
Delivered Services & Assignments
- Business sales for a range of different business sectors
- MBO development, negotiations, funding for companies in a variety of business sectors
- M&A transactions, deal development and negotiations in a variety of sectors
- Business planning, start-up funding and second stage investments across a variety of sectors
- Recovery and turnaround support for a range of UK-based companies
Just a few examples
- Business review, strategy planning, turnaround management and disposal of business – Importer/Distributor
- Turnaround and recovery assistance - construction services, exhibition design
- Business sales – distribution, healthcare, recruitment
- Restructuring and demerger – TV and film production
- Development, negotiations and closing of MBO for major UK food distributor
- Bank fundraising – commercial property portfolios, nursing home development
- Business planning, raising development finance — hotel and licensed on-trade
- M&A transactions with UK and international businesses
- Retained non-exec and interim management support
Industry sector experience includes:
Pubs & Leisure, Gaming Industry, Print, Publishing, PR & Marketing, Motor Engineering, Light Engineering, Sports Events Management, Hotels, Recruitment, Nursing Homes, Public Sector Contract Bidding, Film Production Equipment, Biometric Security, Climate Control, Healthcare, Furniture, Specialist Food Services, Financial Services and Insurance Broking and Specialist Insurance, Wholesale Distribution, Waste Management, Exhibitions.
Terry is able to offer private and public sector clients in London and the South East a highly experienced and knowledgeable resource to help them achieve their corporate and financial objectives.