Andrew has been at the forefront of the food manufacturing and distribution industry for 25 years during which he pioneered both the ‘Smoothie’ and ‘Free From’ product categories. He now heads EMC’s new Food Services division.
Utilising his vast industry knowledge and enviable network of senior level global contacts alongside his relationships with all the major UK multiples – Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Aldi, Asda, Morrisons, Waitrose and Nisa – he helps to transform business ideas into profitable and sustainable reality.
Andrew’s career has been built on an ability to identify gaps in the market, connect with the right people and ultimately bring great food and consumers together in new and innovative ways.
This was evidenced from the outset when, in his first job as Marketing Executive with the New Zealand Products Board, he introduced pre-packed meat to chiller cabinets in UK supermarkets.
Progressing to Forum Holdings as Sales & Marketing Manager (Food), he introduced the first ‘Smoothie’ to market – a product subsequently sold to PepsiCo for £20m – and launched Finn Crisp Crispbread into the UK market, the success of which guaranteed its nationwide availability in supermarkets 30 years later.
Joining Baker Bennett’s Ltd in 1997 as Sales and Commercial Director and major shareholder, he helped to increase the company’s turnover from £3m to £25m in less than 12 years and secure its status as the UK market leader of supplied bakery products.
He project managed the introduction of a Heston Blumenthal range with Waitrose and launched the first ‘Free From’ range of gluten-free products which proved so successful that the supplier was able to sell the business in a multi-million pound deal only three years later.
More recently Andrew has worked as an independent consultant offering a range of turn-key services to food manufacturers and distributors.
Andrew can help you to…
- Define your strategy to create a clear vision, develop commercial trading plans, process definition and work stream planning to grow your business in the UK.
- Advise on how to export to continental Europe, North America, Australia, South Africa and Asia – and assist worldwide manufacturing businesses on how to enter the UK market.
- Create promotional strategy, identify market gaps and opportunities, develop your brand/private label, pricing policy, logistics and distribution.
- Connect your business with new market sectors including grocery multiple; food service; wholesale; speciality and business-to-business.
- Import, export; expansion into new channels of trade; new product development; risk assess, commercial review and new infrastructure.
- Manage your new success and, when the time is right, find the best buyer for your business.
Andrew holds a Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing and is a Member of both the Chartered Institute of Marketing and the Fine Food Importers and Distributors Association.